Saturday, October 11, 2008


Tetova apples
Originally uploaded by kosova cajun

We went to a village near Tetova to visit an old friend and to wish him and his family happy Bajram (Id-al-fiter: the Muslim feast at the end of the Ramadan fast). In addition to the usual Turkish delight and bakllava, they served us apples from their orchard.

Tetova is famous for its apples. I'm not usually all that crazy about apples, but these were exceptionally delicious, and I said so. No sooner were the words out of my mouth than my friend's father excused himself from the room leaving me wondering why he had abandoned his guests so suddenly. (For Albanians, the guest is next to God!)

When it was time for us to leave he reappeared lugging a great plastic big garbage bag full of apples. It was nighttime, and he apologized for not having been able to see well enough to select the best ones.

So far I've made an apple pie, an apple cobbler, an apple coffee cake, and yesteday for breakfast apple muffins. We've still got plenty of apples left. I think I'm going to start the cycle over with another pie.

If you like apples and you happen to be in the neighborhood of Skopje, Macedonia, come over and help yourself. They really are delicious!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

no thanks, i'm more of a PC fan...although our first computer was an Apple II Plus, but that was back in the 80's. All I remember of that computer were the games on the 5.25" floppy disk that I can now get on my cell phone.